Ask your MP to call on the government to invest in children's health
Sustain is looking for your support in calling for five policy commitments to protect children's health and increase access to nutritious food. Support our call and write to your MP.
Picture by Bonnie Kittle from unsplash
Government departments must work together to support children’s health and implement policies to improve access to healthy, nutritious and culturally appropriate food for children and young people.
The Covid-19 emergency has exposed major health inequalities across the country, with children and families suffering disproportionately. The government now has a unique opportunity in the upcoming Spending Review to put forward policies that will ensure children can have the best start in life, regardless of background, including access to good food.
Help support our five policy calls below by writing to your MP
Make the government’s Spending Review count for children’s health.
- Invest Soft Drinks Industry Levy income spend on children’s health via a healthy food investment fund.
- Expand the School Fruit & Vegetable Scheme to all 4.7 million primary age children, sourcing high standard produce from British Farmers.
- Increase the value of the Healthy Start Vouchers to £4.25 and extend to all pregnant women and families with under-4’s on Universal Credit.
- Expand free school meals to all children and young people whose families are on Universal Credit or equivalent benefits, regardless of immigration status.
- Extend school holiday activity and food provision to all children in receipt of free school meals in England.